Here's how it came to pass. Steve asked our friend to give me a call to make out-to-dinner plans. She and I got to chatting about doing something different. Before our respective husbands—both named Steve—knew what hit them, we had reservations at Lips in Oakland Park for the 6 p.m. show. Let me add the Steves had reservations as well.
If I imagined an early 1900's whorehouse, that would describe the décor. Lots of red and gold, gaudy lights, and oozing with bad taste.
The first lady we encountered, I thought she was female. It took me a split second to put it together, then take in the amazing makeup. She was beautiful.
Our particular server didn't have a lot of personality, but she was efficient nonetheless. In fact, the whole meal service was efficient, designed to get us in and fed and the show started by a few minutes after seven—there was also shows at 9 and midnight. My dinner was edible, but, really, we were there for the show and not the food.
The emcee was outrageous—in a good and funny way. Here is what I learned. There is a whole different use for duct tape. (The first time I typed this I had an I and K in the word.) The truth is I knew about that since I researched duct tape a few years ago for a blog post, but I've never heard it mentioned in public before. (Oops, almost another typo.)
- The emcee—a beautiful blond with a shapely figure and long legs—reminded us several times that she had a penis. (See duct tape comment above.) We all know the gig, but I thought the intent was to pretend to be female, and the last I knew, females don't have penises.
- If you are straight, you'll be a target at the show. The Steves were on the receiving end of "straight men in the audience!" A couple celebrating their engagement—strikes me as a strange venue—were applauded for their alternative life style. Most of the patrons were women, leading me to wonder why women are drawn to men in drag.
- Just because boobs look and feel real, doesn't mean they are. Feel you say? I pushed a tip into someone's cleavage.
- I Googled 'drag breasts' and got an expanded perspective. There is a YouTube video showing how to enhance cleavage and make boobs appear using makeup and pushup bra. Potentially, useful information. LOL
- Straight men don't believe big boobs can be fake. (Insert eye roll.)
And show me, they did.